Postcard Party - Legislative Delegations
Legislative Delegations in each county make local decisions that affect our everyday lives. Working within your delegation allows you to expand your reach beyond an individual legislator to influence a larger audience. For more on Legislative Delegations, click here.
For the complete list of SC County Delegations, click here. Larger Delegations are great for postcard parties. Delegation with more than 10 members are Berkeley (11), Charleston (22), Dorchester (12), Greenville (22), Horry (15), Lexington (14), Richland (17), Spartanburg (13) and York (13).
The Goal: Contact all members of your County's Legislative Delegations with 1 card per writer
The Math: # of legislators multiplied by # of postcard writers = # of cards needed (allow 5-10% extra for waste)
Postcard Stamps can be purchased in rolls at the post office —100 stamps = $40.00.
Card Stock Paper in 8.5 x 11" sheets can be purchased and cut into postcard size (4 per sheet).
Our ERA Postcard Template will give a unified look. Contact us if you'd like a personalized template for your group.
One Stop Shopping — at Staples
- Download the template onto your computer, and print a copy at home; or save it to your phone, and print a copy at the store.
- Pick 8.5 x 11" card stock. Staples people will walk you thru the copier process.
- Allow sufficient time (probably overnight) to have Staples cut the paper to postcard size.
- Buy good quality pens (like BIC Velocity Bold) if you need them for contrast.
A word about the cost ...
Depending on the number mailed, finished postcards should cost $.05-.10 cents/each, plus postage, so $.45-.50/cents each in the mail. Here are some cost sharing suggestions:
- Let participants know the cost ahead of time and suggest a contribution they could make.
- Based on number of cards produced, ask 1 or 2 volunteers to bring stamps. A roll of 100 stamps is $40.00.
- Set out a tip jar for donations.
For specific messaging, click here.
Do you have more to say, or a story to share? To write a letter, click here.
Questions ... contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.