Postcard Party - Women of the House
There are 24 women in the SC House of Representatives — 12 Republicans and 12 Democrats. Even though the ERA is nonpartisan, and even though these people are women, we cannot assume their support. Many Republican women are taking the stance that the ERA is not needed today and is actually an insult to women. Neither of those statements are true. (For a list of talking point distributed by opponents of the ERA, and our rebuttal, click here.)
The Goal: Contact all 24 women and your personal representative (look it up here) with 1 card per writer (25 cards total).
The Math: 25 cards/person multiplied by # of attendees = # of cards needed (e.g. 25 x 10 writers = 250).
Postcard Stamps can be purchased in rolls at the post office — 100 stamps = $35.00.
Card Stock Paper in 8.5 x 11" sheets can be purchased and cut into postcard size (4 per sheet).
A printable label link for all 25 contacts is below, however handwritten addresses are likely to get more attention.
Our ERA Postcard Template will give a unified look. Contact us if you'd like a personalized template for your group.
One Stop Shopping — at Staples
- Download the template onto your computer, and print a copy at home; or save it to your phone, and print a copy at the store.
- Pick 8.5 x 11" card stock. Staples people will walk you thru the copier process.
- Allow sufficient time (probably overnight) to have Staples cut the paper to postcard size.
- Buy good quality pens (like BIC Velocity Bold) if you need them for contrast.
- Buy Avery 8160 label stock if you want to pre-print the labels (30/sheet).
Finished postcards should cost about $.05/each (plus postage = $.40/in the mail).
A word about the expense ...
Dollars spent on this can add up, but if the cost is shared, it lessens the pain. Using the example above, a party of 10 people will generate 250 cards. So $.40 in the mail comes out to $100.00 total. Here are a few suggestions to offset that.
- Ask all participates to donate $10.00 to help cover the cost.
- Let them know the cost ahead of time and set out a tip jar for donations.
- Ask if 3 people will volunteer to bring a roll of stamps.
For specific messaging for your postcard event, click here.
Mailing address for all SC House members is PO Box 11867 Columbia SC 29211. For pre-printed address list, click here.
Do you have more to say, or a story to share? To write a letter, click here.
Questions ... contact us at email@example.com.