Postcard Party - Women of the House
There are 21 women in the SC House of Representatives — 10 Republicans and 11 Democrats. Even though the ERA is nonpartisan, and even though these people are women, we cannot assume their support. Many Republican women are taking the stance that the ERA is not needed today and is actually an insult to women. Neither of those statements are true. (For a list of talking point distributed by opponents of the ERA, and our rebuttal, click here.)
The Goal: Contact all 21 women and your personal representative (look it up here) with 1 card per writer (22 cards total).
The Math: 22 cards/person multiplied by # of attendees = # of cards needed (e.g. 22 x 10 writers = 220).
Postcard Stamps can be purchased in rolls at the post office — 100 stamps = $40.00.
Card Stock Paper in 8.5 x 11" sheets can be purchased and cut into postcard size (4 per sheet).
Our ERA Postcard Template will give a unified look. Contact us if you'd like a personalized template for your group.
One Stop Shopping — at Staples
- Download the template onto your computer, and print a copy at home; or save it to your phone, and print a copy at the store.
- Pick 8.5 x 11" card stock. Staples people will walk you thru the copier process.
- Allow sufficient time (probably overnight) to have Staples cut the paper to postcard size.
- Buy good quality pens (like BIC Velocity Bold) if you need them for contrast.
A word about the cost ...
Depending on the number mailed, finished postcards should cost $.05-.10 cents/each, plus postage, so $.45-.50/cents each in the mail. Here are some cost sharing suggestions:
- Let participants know the cost ahead of time and suggest a contribution they could make.
- Based on number of cards produced, ask 1 or 2 volunteers to bring stamps. A roll of 100 stamps is $40.00.
- Set out a tip jar for donations.
For specific messaging, click here.
Mailing address for all SC House members is PO Box 11867 Columbia SC 29211.
Do you have more to say, or a story to share? To write a letter, click here.
Questions ... contact Barbara Fry at firstname.lastname@example.org.